Early News Articles
The first mention of the Red Dragon in a Newspaper
Camden Daily Telegram Camden, New Jersey 11 Feb 1888, Sat • Page 1
FIRST ASSEMBLY OF THE RED DRAGON CANOE CLUB.
Well Known People From Camden and Philadelphia in Attendance
The First Assembly of the Red Dragon Canoe Club was given at the Raymond Academy, 419 Penn Street, last night. The rooms were handsomely festooned with bunting and evergreens. The Germania Orchestra was screened in one end of the ball room by a large canoe in full sail, banked and decorated with flowers. Beside the canoe the paddles were stacked, surmounted by the club's ensign, a red dragon, bearing in its claws a canoe paddle on a white background with a gold border. Interspersed with the floral decorations of the room were paddles of all sizes, bugles, etc. At one end of the banquetting table was a steam launch, and at the other a canoe in full sail, both made of ice. A plateau formed of jonquils and tulips, showing the colors of the club, graced the center.
The patronesses were Mrs. George Browning, Mrs. Augustus C. Gaussler and Mrs. Frank Northrop. The Ladies' Reception Committee was composed of the Misses Minna P. Lafferty, Virginia B. Nash and Mary Gould Northrop, of Camden, and Miss Jennie Wright, of Philadelphia. Messrs. Harry M. Kraemer, Sanford Northrop, Homer Wise, Horace Joslyn, Raymond Blydenburg, Frank Snyder and Wilbur Nash composed the Ball Committee.
Harrisburg Telegraph (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) · 8 Jul 1891, Wed · Page 4
WITH THE CANOEISTS
Visiting Paddlers who Cruised Down the Susquehanna
Messrs. Underwood and Noyes, of the Red Dragon canoe club, Philadelphia, who have been spending a month very delightfully in cruising slowly down the Susquehanna from Wilkes-Barre in a double canoe, are guests of the Harrisburg canoe club at its headquarters. They expect to leave tomorrow for Philadelphia via the river and tide water canal from Baltimore. The two gentlemen are designers by occupation and have with them a number of fine views of places they stopped at on their journey. They speak in terms of great praise of the beautiful scenery along the whole course of the river and never tire of telling friends they meet of the big number of pickerel to be caught in a pond situated on top of the mountain about nine miles from Shickshinny.
The members of the Harrisburg canoe club, who intend starting Monday next from Williamsport on a cruise down the river, shipped their canoes to that place today.
The Times (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) · 4 Jun 1893, Sun · Page 14
THE RED DRAGON'S REGATTA
Some Pretty Canoe Races Witnessed at Wissinoming
Few regattas held on the Delaware this year have given more general satisfaction than that of the Red Dragon Canoe Club held yesterday at Wissinoming. Every event was replete with snap, and the spectators who thronged the shore and the club building were kept in a continual state of enthusiasm from the start until the finish. The members make no pretensions of belonging to fashionable society, yet a large number of charming women were in attendance and applauded the efforts ot the amateur canoemen during each event.
The wind was blowing gently from the southeast when the races started, but in a short while it became strong enough to send the small craft along with all the speed desired. The entries were more numerous than in any former year, and included a new type of canoe called the Improved sharpie, the property of H. McCormick and A. S. Fenimore, and named respectively the Pirate and the Smuggler. They were practically the first of this make entered in a contest in American waters and the greatest interest was manifestedin the race by their owners and those present from other clubs as spectators. They are trim-looking craft, sixteen feet long, with a thirtv-inch beam and carry 130 feet sail area. In the Royal Canoe races In England for several years this class of canoe has won the challenge cup.
The regatta opened with a single paddling race with seven entries, in which H. Fleischmian showed his superiority over the others by winning In two minutes and fortv seconds. In the second race, which was ot the tandem class, the course, one-quarter mile, was passed over in 2 minutes and 40 seconds. A sail race was the concluding prize event and the Sharpies, improved, of which much had been expected, participated. They were sailed by Henrv and Don McCormick andl while none of of them was awarded first or second place, the fault was not attributed to their sailing qualities.
off nicely, under a fair head of wind, and when the first buoy was reached the Pirate was thirty-nine seconds ahead of the foremost of her competitors. On the eastern turn the wind had lost much of its force, so that the craft merely drifted along until the final stake was reached. At this point they caught better wind and they covered the first hair of the course in a splendid manner. The Pirate was one second in advance of N. Noyes' Kelloe in crossing the line, but was not awarded the race, on account of fouling the final buoy.
Several personal races followed the prize sailing. About seventy-five yachts were on the waters when the races closed, among them being the pretty craft Elfreda, carrying Dr. Tuttle and a partv of friends.
The time-keeper was Dr. Hollingsworth, of the Atlantic City Corinthian fleet, and the Judge was George B. Gideon, of the Philadelphia Yacht Club.
IT WASN'T ALL CANOEING
The Philadelphia Inquirer · 1 Dec 1893 Fri · Page 8
.....but probably should have been
Club Charter Presented
The Times Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 05 Jan 1896, Sun • Page 9
RED DRAGON CANOE CLUB
Their Annual Dinner and Meeting Was a Very Interesting Affair.
The annual meeting and dinner of the Red Dragon Canoe Club was largely attended, more than three-fourths of the entire active and associate membership being present Most of the old officers were re-elected, the result being as follows: Commodore, A. S. Fenlmore; vice commodore, William J. Scott; purser, Omar Shallcross; fleet surgeon, Dr. F. O. Gross; correspondent, M. D. Wilt; quartermaster, E. W. Crittenden. The club has just been incorporated, and the charter and seal were formally presented by the committee. The trustees for the ensuing year are Messrs. Fenlmore, Shallcross and H. W. Flelschmann. The purser's report showed the club clear of floating debt, with a good balance in the treasury, a constantly increasing membership and prospect for another very successful season.
The club will continue this year the very successful record sailing races, for canoes and canoe yawls, Inaugurated last season, with the addition of a new racing class of boats of 15 feet sailing length, popularly known as half-raters. Several new boats will be built for this class, and two or three of the yawls will be altered in rig to enter it.
The club sat down to dinner at 7.30 P. M., the guests of honor being J. K. Hand, of the New York and Knickerbocker Canoe Clubs, vice commodore of the Atlantic Division A C. A., and C. B. Haag, an old commodore of the Red Dragons, who has been absent from the city for several years. After the inner man had been duly attended to and in several instances he seemed to need a great deal of attention toasts were responded to by Vice Commodore Hand, Messrs. Fenlmore, Murray and others. A letter of regret at his inability to be present was received from Commodore Huntingdon, of the A. C. A. Afterward the Red Dragon Quartette and the banjo and mandolin clubs and several individual members entertained the club and the meeting broke up in the wee sma' hours.