Canoeing Regattas

The Times Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 09 Oct 1892, Sun • Page 15


The Liberian Consul Present and Acts as One of the Judges - A Reception Tendered the Guests in the Evening - the Whole Affair a Grand Success.

The annual fall races of the Red Dragon Canoe Club were held yesterday on the Delaware river at Wissinoming. They were the most successful ever held by the organization. Society people were out in force from their cottages along the river bank at Torresdale, Andalusia, Liddonfield, Cornwell and Eddington, besides many from the Jersey shore.

The club made extensive preparations for the entertainment of their guests, which were successfully carried out, and the club building was gaily decorated for the occasion. The races consisted of three events, opening with a canoe paddling between Harry Fleishman, with canoe Enid, and M. D. Wilt in the Malta. The course was a quarter of a mile northward from Lardner's Point. Fleishman quickly showed his superior ability and won by about two cauoe lengths.

The second event was a tandem paddling race with F. O. Gross and Harry Fleishman in the canoe Enid, A. S. Fenimore and M. D. Wilt in charge of the Malta and K. G. Fleishman and J. Van Dusen paddling the Bouquet. The Enid crossed the line first with the Malta two lengths behind. But the most important of the events was the unlimited sail for boats of every class. There were thirteen starters. Besides those regularly entered there were several sloop-rigged cabin boats and gunning skiffs that crossed from the Jersey side and followed the boats over the course.


The introduction of a Baltimore sharpie into the contest, the first to run in Philadelphia waters, was the center of much attention on the part of the local yachtsmen. There was much speculation indulged in as to her sailing qualities, but as she was the last to pass the stake boat after the starting gun was fired, no one expected that she would be one of the winners, and this theory was borne out by the result.

The Osceola led from the start, closely pursued by the Malta, with the Enid a close third. While all the boats were sailing nicely the sharpie was in apparently a dead drift against the tide. Before the first buoy was reached, three-quarters of a mile from the stakeboat, the Kie Loe secured the lead after splendid sailing and was the first to make the turn.

The sailor tried to reef too quickly, and before the second buoy was reached the Osceola shot ahead close, to the Jersey shore, and a oncer went up from the audience on the city side, showing that the spirited contest was being appreciated. The Osceola': reefs were pulled frequently to suit the winds, and she rounded the second buoy iu magnificent form, with the Enid second and the Kie Loo third, and in these relative positions they crossed the line. The course should have been sailed twice, but darkness set in and the judges decided that one circuit was sufficient

The Evening Journal (Wilmington, Delaware) · 26 May 1910, Thu · Page 6


Members of the Delaware Canoe Club are awaiting Memorial Day with more than usual pleasure. Camping and boating will be their diversions on that day, and if fair weather prevails almost the entire membership of the club will be represented. The boatmen will enjoy the day in two parties. One will participate with the clubs and members of the American Canoe Association in a trip on Rancocas Creek, New Jersey, from Brown's Mills in the Pines to the Delaware river.

About 50 members of the American Association, from the various canoe clubs along the Delaware river together with a few from New York, will be represented. The party will arrive at Brown's Mills where the Rancocas Creek forms an outlet for a large lake, on Saturday, and will start on Sunday morning, paddling as far as Mount Holly. The cruise will be resumed on Friday morning, and on arrival at the Red Dragon Canoe Club, at Wlssinoming, supper will be served on the lawn of the club house.

The members of the Delaware Canoe Club will ship their canoes from Wilmington on Friday. Arrangements are being made for the trip by E. Roscoe Shroeder, captain, and Herbert D. Belts, commodore of the club.

A second party of the club will start from Newport on Saturday at noon and will go to Christiana, where a camp will be selected.

York Daily (York, Pennsylvania) · 12 Sep 1911, Tue · Page 3


New Jersey Paddler Stops to Marry on Way to Regatta

Burlington. N. J.. Sept. 11. Cupid rode in a big racing canoe in the Philadelphia regatta yesterday when the crew of the Lakanoo Boat club, of this city, won two victories and landed a second annual championship among the canoe clubs of the Delaware Valley.

Less than a half dozen persons In the crowd on shore knew, prior to the close of the races, that J. Stanley Page, who paddled the champions to victory, was a bridegroom of less than an hour, having been quietly married while en route to the regatta to Miss Ethel M. Townsend. of Bristol. Penn.

Mr. Page and Miss Townsend had arranged it all the day before. In his automobile Page called for Miss Townsend at her home in Bristol and they left at noon, ostensibly for the Red Dragon Canoe club at Wlssinoming. Instead they crossed the Delaware to Burlington, met Alonzo Shinn, another member of the Lakanoo crew, and Miss Esther O'Daniel. and drove to the rectory of St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal church, where the ceremony was performed by the Rev. James F. Olmsted.

Shinn acted as best man and Miss O'Daniel as bridesmaid. The wedding party then entered the automobile, and there was a swift 1ft-mile drive to Camden. In Philadelphia the driver lost his way and added ten miles to the trip to the Red Dragon club. Meantime the Lakanoo men were fuming over the non-appearance of their absent paddlers. They asked the officials of the regatta to rearrange the program and hold the crew races for the final contests. The officials had Just decided that they would allow no further postponement when the missing men appeared and helped turn what looked like certain defeat into a great victory. Immediately after the regatta Mr. Page and his bride started on their honeymoon trip, first sending news of their marriage to their parents. dragon

The Philadelphia Inquirer Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 05 Sep 1921, Mon • Page 6


A high wind played havoc with the sailing canoes in the races for the championship of the Delaware and Chesapeake division of tbe American Canoe Association yesterday afternoon. The races featured the opening day's card of title events of the body, held on the Delaware River at the Red Dragon Canoe Club, Wissinoming.

To Alfred Hopkins, Jr.. bearing the colors of the Red Dragon club, goes the district title. Hopkins nosed out Reginald Rutherford, of the Washington Canoe Club, in the final heat for the crown by a margin of almost two minutes. The race was over a three-mile triangular course in front of the club house.

Hopkins' time for the distance was 19 minutes 50 seconds, against 21 minutes 30 seconds for the Capital City wind-jammer.

By the racing rules the sailing event was for Class 3 cruising canoes, with two preliminary and one final heat. The winner of the first heat shall remain out of the second heat, but others in the first heat may enter the second heat. Then the winners of both first and second heat meet in the final clash.

Hopkins was better able to take advantage of the high gales, and won the first heat by able handling of his craft. Rutherford was on several occasions caught unawares by sudden shifts of wind, and finished well to the rear, followed by J. Humes and R. A. Johnston, both of Red Dragon. Several other entries upset.

Rutherford re-entered the second heat, as did Johnston, of Red Dragon, and several others. But an unusual situation occurred when Rutherford was the only survivor of the race. Every other entry had capsized, the high winds having caught all of the frail craft at one time or another. That gave the Washingtonian the right to enter the final heat.

The races for the sailing championship were the only ones on the calendar yesterday. Today's card includes all paddling events. The junior class will start at 10 o'clock, and senior events at 2:30, followed by tilting contests. Virtually the entire quota of out-of-town paddlers had arrived, and is encamped on the club's premises at Wissinoming.